The Vanderbilt Internship Experience in Washington, D.C. (VIEW) program provides students with an opportunity to explore what it means to be an active citizen through public service, community engagement, and reflection. VIEW connects students to institutions, employers, leaders, and Vanderbilt alumni in the dynamic setting of our nation’s capital.
Living and learning in community is an integral part of the VIEW experience. Together, participants engage in service, experience living in D.C., attend networking events, and enjoy social outings.
VIEW students participate in a spring seminar series to prepare them for their summer internship experiences. Seminar topics include writing a resume and cover letter, how to find and apply for internship postings, interview skills, personal values identification and career alignment, professional networking, interview skills, and more.
Vanderbilt Alumni Mentors
Each VIEW participant is matched with a Vanderbilt alumnus based on the personal and professional interests of both individuals. Mentors play a key role in supporting students in their transition to D.C., career field exploration, and networking opportunities.
2017 VIEW Student Internships
- Farah Arif – Senator Dick Durbin
- Cara Bumcrot – Democratic National Committee
- Kayla Butsko – Minority Business Development Agency
- Ashley Davis – The Livingston Group
- Phyllis Doremus – Vanderbilt University Office of Federal Relations
- Natalie Ewing – The Newseum
- Victoria Herring – Congressman Jim Cooper; Vanderbilt University Office of Federal Relations
- Joyce Hwang – Data Quality Campaign
- Crofton Kelly – Congressman Dan Lapinski
- Avi Mediratta – Steinbruck Center
- Catherine Nolan – International Law Institute
- Mark Pickett – National Veterans Legal Services Program
- Josie Roth – Congressman Ted Deutch
- Eunice Sohn – The Council of State Governments
- Kayleigh Verboncoeur – Emerge America